Monday, February 21, 2011

Getting Ready to Race

The first collegiate road race of the year is this weekend. One of the things I had to do in getting ready to race was glue some new tires onto my Zipps.
Living in an apartment I didn't exactly have too many options for where to do this, and the floor in my room looked like a pretty good option. I found some scraps of poster board to lay down, got my truing stand out and set up, got ready to go and found out I needed a different type of valve extender than what I already had... A trip to Mellow Johnny's fixed this problem and I got back to it.

Somewhere around this point in time I had the thought that it was too bad I wasn't back in a dorm room doing this. I imagine it would've been ever better than the time I was sitting on the floor with the cranks pulled off my mountain bike to put some new chain rings on. My room mate hadn't been home, but he came in, looked at me, and looking really confused, turned around and walked back out of the room.

The actual gluing of the tires, though:
The first one was absolutely perfect. I didn't even get glue on my hands.
The second one turned out something like this

I was pulling the last section of the tire on when a quarter of it slipped back off. Of course that meant pulling it up the rim again, but this time with glue all over it...

I would like to thank Goo Gone for making a good product.
I'd also like to point out that living somewhere with operable windows is very nice if this task is going to be done inside. ie As much fun as it would be to confuse a dorm room mate, you do not want to glue tires there. Your room would never smell the same again.

No comments: