Saturday, July 14, 2007

So I'm still alive ( :

7 minutes into the 91km race today, there was a nasty wreck. Like, 30-40 people going down at 50ish mph... It was nasty.

Here's an artist rendering of the race, it should help explain a little bit:

Notice the guy flying over the guard rail? That really happened. Yeah.

Luckily I didn't go down, but having to just about stop tends to make you go to the back of the pack... I stayed there for a while, but not being able to move up ended with me off the back ):
After a bit, I got with a group of six or so and worked with them. By the end of the race, that seven was down to me and one other guy. I beat him in an awesome* sprint, which put me finishing in 75th. Which given what happened, really isn't too bad for a 150 person race. I'll take that.

Now that the most important thing is out of the way, the rest of the week:
The drive here was pretty good, until we got 9 miles away and the road was closed. Yeppers, we sat in one place for 2 hours. Like, "turning the car off, getting out, and walking around," sitting in one spot. After we got here (Pennsylvania, for those who don't know) I've just sat around the hotel, riden my bike, riden my bike in the rain, and sat around the hotel some more. Awesomeness.

The crit is tomorrow ( :

1 comment:

aka Kathy said...

What an awesome artistic rendention. I feel like I was there.

Glad you didn't get caught up in the melee.